Lake Manassas Roof Repair
Lake Manassas Roof Repair Video Explains How to Stop a Chimney Roof Pipe Leak
We received a call from a Lake Manassas homeowner for a roof repair inspection that was performed by a local roofing company. The repairs that were performed never stop the leak around the chimney or roof pipe. After inspecting the entire roof we found that the roof pipe flanges like the one above were all installed incorrectly. As you can see the roof pipe flashing is on the outside of the roof on the sides. This will cause leakage directly below and it will also cause the chimney to leak as well.
The chimney flashing was also installed incorrectly with the roof shingles fastened and cemented to the sides of the chimney counter flashing. This is also an active leak. To correct these problems so this Lake Manassas homeowner will not need roof repair again in these problem areas we need to.
Replace Roof Pipe Flashing
- Remove the shingles and the roof pipe flashing so ice and water shield can be adhered to the wood surface around the roof pipe.
- Make sure when the roof flashing is nailed into position you must always have the nail heads hold the sides of the flashing to the wood deck.
- Never fasten the nails through the flashing, this will cause leakage.
- Apply Geocel Tripolymer sealant around the roof pipe flashing
- Adhere new pre-cut shingles around the entire perimeter of the roof pipe flashing so the shingles become fully adhered to the flashing
- Seal the vent pipe collar with Geocel Tripolymer sealant. This will prevent leakage between the rubber collar and the PVC pipe from heavy rains.
Repair and Replace Chimney Flashing
- Remove the old shingles and the flashing completely around the entire chimney
- Adhere ice and water shield to the wood deck around the entire chimney
- Install new step flashing to sides of chimney
- Cut into mortar of chimney so new counter flashing can be installed within.
- Seal mortar and counter flashing joints with concrete cement
- Re-shingle around entire perimeter of chimney with matching color shingles.
Now that this Lake Manassas roof repair is completed to the roof pipe and chimney flashing this homeowner will not have to worry about another roof leak for many years to come.